IT Manager Job Description
Table of Contents
Note: This is NOT a job posting. This is just a sample job description. If you use it, please attribute this site.
This is a real-world description for an IT manager. The description itself is several years old, but 95% of it is still appropriate for today.
- Assists in the planning and implementation of additions, deletions and major modifications to the supporting regional infrastructure.
- Implements network security at the regional level as established by corporate Security Director.
- Oversees the administration and maintenance of the company's infrastructure, and directs more junior Innovators when necessary.
- Oversees the administration of the company's WAN.
- Manages and develops upgrades to the company's telephone system at the regional level.
- Oversees all telephone changes, including routing for seating assignments.
Training & Lab Maintenance
- Oversees the administration and maintenance of computer stations and software for company training programs and the Learning Studio and provides additional support if necessary.
- Oversees troubleshooting, systems backups, archiving, and disaster recovery and provides expert support when necessary.
- Works with project teams to help implement Internal Systems.
Help Desk Administration
- Oversees all help desk activities at the regional level.
- Responds to escalated help desk issues.
- Oversees the administration and maintenance of our tracking software.
- Interacts with internal clients on all levels to help resolve IT-related issues and provides answers in a timely manner.
- Builds and maintains vendor relationships and manages the purchase of hardware and software products.
- Manages the purchasing of all software, hardware and other IT supplies at the regional level.
- Ensures that company assets are maintained responsibly.
CAREER PATH CORE COMPETENCIES
- Facilitates team meetings effectively.
- Holds regular status meetings with team.
- Keeps team well informed of changes within the organization and general Etensity news.
- Effectively communicates relevant IT-related information to superiors.
- Delivers engaging, informative, well-organized presentations.
- Resolves and/or escalates issues in a timely fashion.
- Understands how to communicate difficult/sensitive information tactfully.
- Relays relevant IT-related information to the company in a timely manner.
- Initiates and implements improvements in all areas of IT responsibility.
- Serves as main point of contact on all IT-related matters for the office assigned.
- Responds/acts on upper-management direction .
- Identifies and provides standards for gathering information for use in trend analysis and reports information to company management.
- Challenges others to develop as leaders while serving as a role model and mentor.
- Manages the development of team by ensuring, when possible, that project tasks are in line with each Innovator's career interests.
- Inspires coworkers to attain goals and pursue excellence.
- Identifies opportunities for improvement and makes constructive suggestions for change .
- Manages the process of innovative change effectively.
- Remains on the forefront of emerging industry practices.
- Consistently acknowledges and appreciates each team member's contributions.
- Effectively utilizes each team member to his/her fullest potential.
- Motivates team to work together in the most efficient manner.
- Keeps track of lessons learned and shares those lessons with team members.
- Mitigates team conflict and communication problems.
- Plans and facilitates regular team activities outside of the office.
- Manages day-to-day internal client interaction
- Sets and manages internal client expectations.
- Communicates effectively with internal clients to identify needs and evaluate alternative business solutions.
- Continually seeks opportunities to increase internal client satisfaction and deepen client relationships.
- Conducts effective performance evaluations and mentors those with less experience through formal channels.
- Helps team execute career development plans.
- Seeks and participates in development opportunities above and beyond training required by Etensity.
- Trains other innovators and clients through both formal and informal training programs.
- Encourages more junior Innovators to take responsibility for their development within the company.
- Challenges fellow Innovators to progress toward their professional development goals.
- Suggests areas for improvement in internal processes along with possible solutions.
- Leads internal teams/task forces
- Approves team member's time and expense reports in a conscientious and timely manner.
- Reviews the status reports of team members and addresses issues as appropriate.
- Complies with and helps to enforce standard Etensity policies and procedures.
Other Job Descriptions
- Web and Software Development
- Project Management
- Business Analysis
- Relationship and Vendor Management
- Technical Management
- Network Engineering
- IT Management
- IT Infrastructure Management