IT Director Job Description
Table of Contents
Note: This is NOT a job posting. This is just a sample job description. If you use it, please attribute this site.
This is a real-world description for an IT director. The description itself is several years old, but 95% of it is still appropriate for today.
- Plans and implements additions, deletions and major modifications to the supporting infrastructure company-wide in coordination with corporate leadership.
- Oversees the implementation of network security at the corporate level.
- Anticipates future network needs, identifies proactive solutions to satisfy needs.
- Oversees the planning and management of the company's telephone system and manages company-wide upgrade efforts.
Training & Lab Maintenance
Help Desk Administration
- Oversees the management of corporate help desk activities and resolves escalated issues if necessary.
- Helps establish and build relationships with vendors in conjunction with corporate leadership.
- Oversees all IT-related purchasing and budget usage; works with Accounting to develop budgets.
- Holds responsibility for capacity planning and scheduling vendor negotiations related to IT.
CAREER PATH CORE COMPETENCIES
- Ensures department is well informed, at all times, of changes and news worthy events within the company.
- Effectively communicates relevant IT-related information to superiors.
- Handles difficult personnel situations directly, using appropriate discretion, HR advice, and respect for the individual.
- Promotes the company through speaking engagements at industry conferences and involvement in local business organizations.
- Exercises staff oversight to ensure new operations plans, policies, procedures, and transition/migration plans are consistent with the overall company goals and objectives.
- Holds responsibility for IT staffing and budgeting projections on a company-wide basis.
- Achieves excellence in all areas of business.
- Champions change and effectively manages the implementation of new ideas.
- Reinforces team approach throughout practice both on client projects and internal initiatives.
- Supports and solicits input from team members at all levels within the organization.
- Ensures regular team and practice events take place away from the office.
- Communicates effectively with internal clients to identify needs and evaluate alternative business solutions and strategies.
- Continually defines ways to increase internal client satisfaction and deepen client relationships.
- Maintains lasting internal client relationships
- Ensures practice delivers superior solutions to internal clients.
- Provides senior level resolution to internal client issues.
- Participates in all programs and enforces all policies relating to performance evaluations and career development planning.
- Reviews management evaluations for consistency.
- Impresses upon management the importance of the career planning and performance evaluation programs.
- Creates an environment where Innovators can successfully achieve professional career path goals.
- Manages the development of project managers and senior managers.
- Assigns tasks to practice management that give managers an opportunity to grow.
- Reviews status reports of Project Managers and Senior Managers and addresses issues as appropriate.
- Lends expertise to internal teams and task forces.
- Enforces standard company policies and procedures.
Other Job Descriptions
- Web and Software Development
- Project Management
- Business Analysis
- Relationship and Vendor Management
- Technical Management
- Network Engineering
- IT Management
- IT Infrastructure Management