Note: This is NOT a job posting. This is just a sample job description. If you use it, please attribute this site.
This is a real-world description for a senior technical manager. The description itself is several years old, but 95% of it is still appropriate for today.
In order for you to be qualified in the position, one must have finished a course related to computer technology. Obtaining a master of information technology online is better as this will help you be noticed by employers more. One must also fit into the competencies and qualities that will be tackled throughout this article.
Solution Development and Delivery
- Provides technical direction for the development, design, and systems integration across multiple client engagements from definition phase through implementation.
- Applies significant knowledge of industry trends and developments to improve service to our clients.
- Easily recognizes system deficiencies and implements effective solutions.
- Suggests alternative technical solutions to meet client requirements more efficiently, and/or with greater reusability, and / or longer life.
Technical Effort Management
- Creates and executes development plans across multiple projects and revises as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements.
- Keeps project manager well informed of status of development effort and serves as liaison between development staff and project manager and/or client across multiple projects.
- Identifies reusable code required for our code library and ensures the high quality creation of the code.
- Defines, communicates and enforces coding standards.
- Manages multiple technical teams within budget and project schedule.
- Assists in sales efforts from a technical perspective.
- Consistently delivers high-quality services to our clients.
CAREER PATH CORE COMPETENCIES
- Possesses significant knowledge of complex database concepts and ensures project teams are effectively employing appropriate database design techniques.
- Possesses demonstrated work experience with more than one relational database management system.
- Understands the benefits of the various programming languages and accurately suggests the use of the appropriate technology for the application .
- Possesses significant knowledge of OO concepts and ensures they are consistently and appropriately applied in client engagements.
- Possesses significant knowledge of client/server and internet systems architectures and accurately suggests the use of the appropriate technology for the application.
- Understands browser / client specific compatibility issues .
- Serves as key participant in team and client meetings.
- Raises our visibility through involvement in local industry organizations.
- Confronts issues opening and quickly .
- Tactfully communicates sensitive information.
- Challenges others to develop as leaders while clarifying roles and responsibilities.
- Pursues excellence in all aspects of business.
- Possesses the expert knowledge to identify opportunities for change and the ability to convey the need for change.
- Builds expert knowledge in our industry.
- Evokes creative and innovative thinking from team members while helping them to bring their ideas and career plans to fruition.
- Helps to determine new, creative ways to employ teams on projects and distribute responsibilities.
- Manages client interaction and expectations for multiple or large-scale development efforts.
- Anticipates clients needs and proposes alternative technical solutions.
- Continually seeks and capitalizes upon opportunities to increase customer satisfaction and deepen client relationships.
- Possess a knowledge base of each client's business, systems and objectives.
- Participates in all programs relating to performance evaluations and career development planning.
- Mentors technical managers and senior developers through formal and informal channels.
- Assesses training needs and selects training tools for team members.
- Manages the development of project teams by ensuring that project tasks are in line with each innovator's career interests.
- Easily recognizes areas for internal improvement and develops plans for implementation.
- Lends expertise to internal teams and task forces.
- Reviews the status reports of team members and addresses issues as appropriate.
Other Job Descriptions
- Web and Software Development
- Project Management
- Business Analysis
- Relationship and Vendor Management
- Technical Management
- Network Engineering
- IT Management
- IT Infrastructure Management