Project Director Job Description
PROJECT/PRACTICE RELATED COMPETENCIES
Note: This is NOT a job posting. This is just a sample job description. If you use it, please attribute this site.
This is a real-world description for a project director. The description itself is several years old, but 95% of it is still appropriate for today.
Project /Practice Management
- Manages the strategic aspects of large engagements and mitigates any risk.
- Oversees senior managers and managers working on client engagements within practice.
- Reviews high-level deliverables across practice.
- Ensures engagement reviews and quality assurance procedures take place for all practice engagements.
- Provides leadership to practice within a geographic area.
- Develops, implements, and maintains sound business practices.
- Develops and implements strategic objectives for practice that are aligned with the region's strategic initiatives.
- Reports profit and loss figures.
- Consolidates and analyzes profitability, revenue, margins, bill rates and utilization across practice.
- Helps create pipeline forecasts and broad-based financial picture for practice.
- Addresses and resolves all billing issues.
- Ensures practice meets or exceeds budgeted financial objectives, including revenue and margin.
CAREER PATH CORE COMPETENCIES
- Develops and meets revenue and other financial goals for practice.
- Accurately forecasts revenue, profitability, margins, bill rates and utilization across practice.
- Manages the negotiation of contract pricing when necessary.
- Provides leadership and guidance in all aspects of the sales cycle.
- Takes a lead role in monitoring the identification and development of strategic accounts.
- Involves, as appropriate, the our sales team in order to achieve sales goals.
- Manages business development on a strategic level for practice.
- Grows long-term relationships with clients and capitalizes on equity and partnership opportunities.
- Ensures practice is well informed, at all times, of changes and news worthy events within our company.
- Effectively communicates relevant practice information to superiors.
- Handles difficult personnel situations directly, using appropriate discretion, HR advice, and respect for the individual.
- Promotes us through speaking engagements at industry conferences and involvement in local business organizations.
- Evaluates and redesigns practice offerings.
- Understands the implications of different technical choices and is able to guide our clients to the best solution for their situation.
- Achieves excellence in all areas of business.
- Champions change and effectively manages the implementation of new ideas.
- Reinforces team approach throughout practice both on client projects and internal initiatives.
- Supports and solicits input from team members at all levels within the organization.
- Ensures regular team and practice events take place away from the office.
- Communicates effectively with clients to identify needs and evaluate alternative business solutions and strategies.
- Continually defines ways to increase customer satisfaction and deepen client relationships.
- Maintains lasting client relationships.
- Ensures practice delivers superior solutions to clients.
- Provides senior level resolution to client issues.
- Participates in all programs and enforces all policies relating to performance evaluations and career development planning.
- Reviews management evaluations for consistency.
- Impresses upon management the importance of the career planning and performance evaluation programs.
- Creates an environment where Innovators can successfully achieve professional career path goals.
- Manages the development of project managers and senior managers.
- Assigns tasks to practice management that give managers an opportunity to grow.
- Reviews status reports of Project Managers and Senior Managers and addresses issues as appropriate.
- Lends expertise to internal teams and task forces.
- Enforces standard policies and procedures.
Other Job Descriptions
- Web and Software Development
- Project Management
- Business Analysis
- Relationship and Vendor Management
- Technical Management
- Network Engineering
- IT Management
- IT Infrastructure Management