Signs and Symptoms of Nitrogen Narcosis
The following lists the signs and symptoms of nitrogen narcosis at various depths.
Depth: 33-100 feet
- Mild impairment of performance of unpracticed tasks.
- Mildly impaired reasoning.
- Mild euphoria possible.
Depth: 100-165 feet
- Delayed response to visual and auditory stimuli.
- Reasoning and immediate memory affected more than motor coordination.
- Calculation errors and wrong choices.
- Idea fixation.
- Overconfidence and sense of well-being.
- Laughter and loquacity (in chambers), which may be overcome by self-control.
- Anxiety (common in cold, murky water).
Depth: 165-230 feet
- Sleepiness, impaired judgment confusion.
- Severe delay in response to signals, instructions and other stimuli.
- Occasional dizziness.
- Uncontrolled laughter, hysteria (in chamber).
- Terror in some
Depth: 230-300 feet
- Poor concentration and mental confusion.
- Stupefaction with some decrease in dexterity and judgment.
- Loss of memory, increased excitability.
Depth: 300-plus feet
- Increased intensity of vision and hearing.
- Sense of impending blackout euphoria, dizziness, manic or depressive states, a sense of levitation, disorganization of the sense of time, changes in facial appearance.
Download the FREE Printable Scuba Dive Logs today!
Leave a Reply