Why Not to Have a Pet Chinchilla
We believe that people should make an informed decision before taking on the responsibility of caring for a chinchilla. Here are reasons to NOT get a chinchilla as a pet.
- Chinchillas are crepuscular which means they may not be awake when you are and they may make noise while you are trying to sleep.
- Chinchillas need attention, but they don’t like to be picked up. This makes them less than ideal for young children.
- Chinchillas need to have their cage cleaned frequently for their own health and to keep it from smelling.
- Chinchillas will chew on everything including baseboards, doors, furniture, and wires. If you can’t chinchilla-proof a room, you’re going to be in for a lot of maintenance.
- Chinchillas can live up to 20 years which means a long-term commitment.
- You can’t leave your chinchillas unattended for days while you travel.
- Chinchillas don’t travel well. Their skittish nature means that travel will cause them stress.
- Chinchillas can overheat and die under conditions that you would find tolerable.
And in case you think we’re anti-chinchilla (not true), check out our list of reasons to own a pet chinchilla.