I got hit by some hair algae (see image) after a plant trade not too long ago. The initial research I did suggested that I was in for a long and arduous clean-up effort including pulling out plants and cleaning them. Luckily, Tom Barr from the plantedtank.net suggested using API AlgaeFix and so I did.
First up, I didn't find AlgaeFix at stores in the GTA. I had to order it from Amazon. Once I got it, I used the recommended dose on one of my tanks. The first dose didn't have a noticeable impact. The second dose seemed to weaken the hair algae. The third dose completely eradicated the hair algae from my tank. I didn't even have to clean-up leftovers — it was just completely gone. That's an amazing result for just 9 days.
I repeated the process on a second tank and got the same result. I also tried it in a small container with plant cuttings and noticed the same results using a stronger dose over a shorter period of time.
The label warns against using AlgaeFix with crustaceans and I can confirm that I lost a few shrimp when using it. None of my fish seemed affected. I had a nerite snail die during the period where I was dosing, but I'm not sure if it was a coincidence.
It has been several weeks and the hair algae hasn't returned in one of my tanks so I'm calling it a success there. In my second tank I noticed a few strands reappearing several weeks later so I tried another 2 doses over 6 days, but this time I used half the amount. This modification worked, but I still lost a fully grown Amano shrimp.
Check out these related articles: