Furnished Short Term Rental Apartments vs Hotels: Which is the Better Choice in NYC?
New York City is one of the most popular destinations in the world, attracting millions of visitors every year. Whether traveling for business, leisure, or education, you will need a place to stay in the Big Apple.
But how do you choose between a furnished short term rental apartment and a hotel? Which option offers more benefits, convenience, and value for your money? In this article, we will compare these two types of accommodation and help you make the best decision for your trip.
What are Furnished Short Term Rental Apartments?
Many times apartments in NYC are offered for rent on a short-term basis and are furnished with all the necessary furnishings and appliances. It is common for them to be housed in residential buildings or complexes, and they often provide greater room, more privacy, and more comfort than hotels provide.
Short-term rentals that are furnished come with all the amenities required for a pleasant stay, including furniture, appliances, cookware, linens, towels, Wi-Fi, cable TV, and the costs associated with basic utility services. Some also have conveniences like on-site laundry facilities, fitness centers, swimming pools, and rooftop patios.
What are Hotels?
Hotels are commercial enterprises that provide accommodation and other services to tourists daily or nightly. Guests may stay at a hotel for either one night or many nights. They often have a location that is either central to the region or handy for travelers, and they provide a range of accommodations, from ordinary to luxurious.
Amenities often offered in hotels include reception that is open around the clock, a concierge, room service, cleaning, restaurants, bars, spas, and business centres. Some facilities include fitness centers, pools, or conference rooms.
Pros and Cons of Furnished Short Term Rental Apartments
Furnished short term rental apartments have many advantages over hotels, especially for longer stays. Here are some of them:
- Cost-effectiveness – Furnished short term rental apartments are usually cheaper than hotels per night, especially if you book directly with the owner or manager. You can also save money on food by cooking your meals in the kitchen. Additionally, you can avoid paying extra fees or taxes that hotels often charge.
- Space and comfort – Furnished short term rental apartments offer more space and comfort than hotels. You can enjoy separate living areas, bedrooms, bathrooms, and kitchens. You can feel more at home and relaxed in a cozy and personalized environment.
- Privacy and flexibility – Furnished short term rental apartments give you more privacy and flexibility than hotels. You can come and go as you please without worrying about disturbing other guests or staff. You can also set your schedule and rules without following hotel policies or regulations.
- Local experience – Furnished short term rental apartments allow you to experience the local culture and lifestyle more authentically than hotels. You can live like a local in a residential neighborhood and interact with the community. You can also discover hidden gems and off-the-beaten-path attractions that tourists might miss.
However, hotels also have some disadvantages that you should consider before booking. Here are some of them:
- Cost-effectiveness – Hotels are usually more expensive than furnished short term rental apartments per night, especially if you book through a third-party website or app. You might also need to pay extra fees or taxes that hotels often charge. Additionally, you might spend more money on food by eating out or ordering room service.
- Space and comfort – Hotels offer less space and comfort than furnished short term rental apartments. You might have to share a small room with one or more people and use a common bathroom. You might also feel cramped and claustrophobic in a generic and impersonal environment.
- Privacy and flexibility – Hotels give you less privacy and flexibility than furnished short term rental apartments. You might have to deal with noise, crowds, or other guests or staff interruptions. You might also have to follow hotel policies or regulations that limit your freedom and choices.
- Local experience – Hotels might not allow you to experience the local culture and lifestyle as authentically as furnished short term rental apartments. You might stay in a touristy area and interact with mostly other travelers or hotel staff. You might also miss out on hidden gems and off-the-beaten-path attractions that locals know.
Furnished short term rental apartments and hotels are both viable options for accommodation in NYC, but they have different pros and cons that suit different travelers' needs and preferences.
In general, furnished short term rental apartments are a better choice for longer stays, groups, families, budget travelers, or those who seek more space, privacy, comfort, and local experience.
Hotels are not much better for shorter stays, solo travelers, couples, luxury travelers, or those seeking more services, amenities, quality, and consistency. The best decision depends on your situation and goals for your trip.