Why Tulum Is the Go-To Destination for Romantic Couples
Located on the Yucatán Peninsula on the east coast of the Mexico, Tulum is a popular vacation destination for romantic couples. It has spectacular pre-Columbian Mayan ruins on a cliff overlooking the crystal-clear Caribbean, which is the main draw for tourists. For romantic couples, the isolation is the draw and Tulum provides it.
Honeymooners and other romantic couples can enjoy luxury accommodation in one of the many secluded villas in Tulum. This allows them to avoid the crowds of tourists that come for day trips to see the ruins. Luxury resorts offer spacious villas right on the beach with private pools, separate living and dining areas where you can spend your time enjoying your privacy or being pampered by the resort staff.
Benefits of Luxury Travel
Tulum is surrounded by some of Mexico’s best golf courses. The luxury resorts provide everything you need for a variety of water sports, including scuba diving, snorkeling, kayaking and more. Your tours, reservations and activities can be planned for you by your concierge. Luxury travel allows you to spend more time with each other and not on checking maps and destinations.
Romantic couples appreciate the exclusivity Tulum offers. Resorts with villas in Tulum may be very small and only have accommodation for less than 15 guests at a time. Depending on the time of year you book, you could have the whole resort to yourself. Even if there are other guests, you will rarely see them.
Your visit will be easier to manage if you know before you go that there are three sections to Tulum. They are near each other, but not within walking distance. Tulum Pueblo is like a small town where the locals live and is the main location for visitors who come mainly to see the ruins. It is the place in Tulum for excellent restaurants, shopping and your night on the town. Romantic couples may prefer the more secluded villas in Tulum outside the town.
Tulum Playa is the coastline that has white sandy beaches as well as protected mangrove and wetland areas to the south. It includes the Sian Ka’an Biosphere Reserve for hundreds of endangered species and migratory birds. You will explore the protected coral reef, coastal jungle and possibly see wild dolphins. The reserve works with the local community to help resorts and hotels practice eco-tourism. You may notice your luxury accommodation uses many eco-friendly practices and may even be a sustainable resort. This is hugely popular with couples today, and Tulum is making great efforts not to develop the ecological problems that have taken hold in Playa del Carmen and Cancun.
Tulum Ruinas encompasses the main archaeological sites of the famous Mayan ruins of Tulum. The main attraction among many important sites is the Castillo. It is a walled city built on the top of granite cliffs in the 1300s as a defense against enemies from the sea. The most romantic time to visit the fort and the beach beneath it is at sunrise.
Other activities romantic couples may enjoy on their honeymoon are:
- Scuba diving at Gran Cenote. This is something you don’t want to miss. Whether you are an expert or beginner and only scuba dive once in your life, this is the place to do it. The area has more than 300 miles of underground caves and rivers that have some of the most amazing natural wonders of the world.
- Speaking of underground rivers, you and your significant other can float along the underground Rio Secreto and gaze at the magnificent stalagmites and stalactites.
- The Coba archaeological site has many roads that connect pyramids, two lagoons and many other ancient ruins. If bicycling is your thing, consider cycling around this area to combine, exercise, natural scenery and archeological wonders.
- The Yal Ku Lagoon is the best place if you prefer to snorkel. The shallow, protected waters are filled with colorful coral and tropical fish.
- If you regularly practice yoga, you will enjoy yoga on the beach. If you have never practiced yoga, this is a great time to start. It’s rare to have the swaying palm trees and gentle waves during a yoga session. Also, the concierge at your villa in Tulum will help you set up couples massage on the beach. If you prefer a private room with candles and flowers, no problem.
- If you want to enjoy the Caribbean and Mexican culture in one place, Xcaret Park in Playa del Carmen is less than an hour away. It has underground rivers, swimming with dolphins and more than 50 other attractions.
Tulum is a favorite vacation destination of romantic couples because it provides all the beauty of Caribbean life without the hordes of pleasure-seekers. Secluded villas are surrounded by tropical forest and landscaped gardens and almost always right on the beach. Honeymooners especially like it because it offers the opportunity of creating amazing memories.