The Most Common Tap Water Contaminants and Their Negative Effects on Your Health

Microbial and organic contaminants cannot always be detected by our senses. Whilst some chemicals are safe to drink, the others can be potentially fatal if not controlled. By drinking water, you can potentially end up with high medical bills and many hours spent in the hospital. If you live in an agricultural area, your water may contain harmful organic material from pesticides or fertilizers. As you may already know, these chemicals have been found to produce cancer and other reproductive issues.

However, it’s important to highlight that even if you live in a popular or rich state, it doesn’t mean that you will be protected. California, Nevada, and Nebraska have numerous chemicals that are damaging to your health. Everyone that drinks contaminated tap water will eventually develop health issues due to the chemicals.

Arsenic

This toxic chemical will contribute to a range of diseases. This includes bladder, lung, and skin cancers. The federal limit set by the government is of 0.01 milligrams per liter. However, Texas has up to 2x more traces in the water supplied to its people. By taking 10 mcg over a period of time, you will develop symptoms of arsenic poisoning. This includes:

  • Syphilis
  • Rheumatism
  • Asthma
  • Psoriasis

The more water you drink believing that you’re doing your body good by drinking water, you are contributing to creating more health issues. It has been found that if you take 5 mg of arsenic over the time, you will develop severe poisoning and death. Matters are worsened by the fact that its evaporation and thus presence in the air causes severe asthma attacks.

Lead

This chemical element can cause serious illnesses. Exposure to it will cause brain, kidney, and nervous system damage. People get in contact with it as water passes through lead pipes. Due to the fact that the council cannot afford to change the water pipes, water is pushed through these pipes. It has been found that over 15% of distribution pipelines in North America are over 100 years old. Yes, that old.
Symptoms of lead poisoning are:

  • Hearing loss
  • Abdominal pain
  • Sluggishness and fatigue
  • Weight loss

The federal limit is of 0.015 milligrams per liter. Nonetheless, numerous states are facing large amounts of lead in the water. The most shocking fact is that children are the most are the risk. As well as, pregnant women should stay away from tap water. The reason for this is due to the fact that children will develop learning difficulties and developmental delays. Additionally, babies exposed to lead before birth might be born prematurely, lower birth weight, and slowed growth. Exposure in newborns usually occurs not through direct ingestion but rather through other means. The most common mistake parents do is that they don’t use clean water for raising humidity in the nursery to keep the nasal passages and skin of the baby moistened, which results in the aforementioned health effects.

Beryllium

Those exposed to these chemicals are at serious risk of developing a fatal respiratory disease. In addition to this, the Agency for Research on Cancer has rated it as a Group 1 – Carcinogenic. As well as, the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists have named this as an A1- Confirmed human carcinogen. This is something that you can simply not ignore. States such as:

  • Utah
  • Alaska
  • Delaware
  • Minnesota

This is one of the most toxic chemicals. It’s one of the most carcinogen element found in the water that you are innocently drinking. If you are exposed to it long-term, it has the capability of causing cell mutation and cancer. This is why the federal limit is 0.004 milligrams per liter.

This is why the best advice that we can give you is to consider cleaning the chemical yourself. Therefore, you need to get informed about water filters. They are capable of getting rid of up to 99% of chemicals including this one. You and your family deserve to be protected from the contaminants that you are drinking. We don’t advise that you use contaminated tap water for cooking either.

Selenium

Anything above 0.05 ppm will cause hair and fingernail damage. If you are noticing that your hair is falling out and your fingernails have a weird form and the surface is not smooth, it means that your body contains too much of this chemical. In addition to this, it can also damage the nervous system, fatigue, and irritability. You cannot have a healthy appearance if you’re consuming too much tap water. The long-term effect is that your hair and fingernails are prone to break and fall completely.

Your organs will also have to suffer as it causes damages to the kidney and liver tissue. Furthermore, your nervous and circulatory systems will get damaged severely. This means that you will spend several hours in the hospital and thousands of dollars trying to fix what contaminated water has contributed to.

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (2 votes, average: 4.50 out of 5)
Loading...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Notify me of followup comments via e-mail.


839GYLCCC1992