Is cannabis consumption for me?
For the longest time, cannabis has been demonized and stigmatized in society however, now it is more accepted and legalization has played a massive role in this evolution. Tech is being used to move the cannabis industry forward and over the years, cannabis has evolved to be more potent and give the user a more enhanced experience. Cannabis has many benefits, it can induce relaxation, calm, appetite, and restful sleep just to name a few. With the stigma disappearing, and so many online cannabis stores like Canna Cabana selling everything from accessories to the cannabis itself, it is natural to contemplate whether cannabis is for you, so here is some information that can hopefully put some things into proper perspective.
Types of cannabis
There are two types of cannabis strains, sativa and indica. Sativa is the strain that uplifts your mood and gives you an energetic high that reduces feelings of anxiety and this strain is recommended for daytime use whereas indica induces sleepiness and relaxation and is recommended for night time use. Sativa is known to produce a ‘head high' and many people use sativa to sharpen their focus and boost their motivation and creativity, while indica produces a “body high” that allows you to feel the effects all over your body such as heavy limbs and a tingly face. Indica is much easier to produce and grow than sativa making it more common for you to find the Indica strain.
Ways to consume
There are many ways to consume cannabis apart from the traditional smoking method that has many health risks. Technology has evolved and as a result of this, we have many options to choose from when looking to consume marijuana. Popular consumption methods include:
- Vaping: this is when you consume cannabis using a dry herb vaporizer. This method of consumption is on the costly side however, it is far healthier than smoking and it is more convenient, discreet and you experience a more potent high with more flavor.
- Glassware: consuming with glassware includes bongs and pipes which are handheld Bongs use water which makes the effect on your lungs much smoother however, there is still a health risk because of the smoke. Pipes are discreet and use less cannabis but like bongs, they also have a health risk because of the smoke.
- Joints: this is the most common smoking method that requires rolling paper and a significant amount of bud. This method is very unhealthy but also very easy to do.
- Edibles: with edibles, you infuse marijuana into food products such as ice cream or cookies and when ingested, you get a more potent high that lasts longer. The only downside is that it takes a while for the high to kick in.
- Topicals: This is when creams, balms, oils, and lotions are infused with marijuana and when applied to your skin, you reap the benefits such as relief from muscle pain and joint stiffness. This method of consumption does not have psychoactive effects.
CBD or THC
CBD is one of the main active ingredients in the marijuana plant and it does not produce any psychoactive effects however, it is very well known and widely used for its medical benefits such as anxiety relief, pain relief, antidepressant, and appetite-inducing. THC on the other hand is the other main active ingredient in the marijuana plant and unlike CBD, it makes users high and is mainly used recreationally. CBD reduces pain in the body by impacting the endocannabinoid receptor activities which reduces inflammation and interacts with neurotransmitters. THC stimulates the neurons in the brain's reward system and releases dopamine at very high levels. Although THC and CBD are both cannabinoids that can be found in marijuana, they are very different.
Medical marijuana has been proven to have many health benefits and doctors are using it because more research is being done that supports these benefits. Patients use it because it works and the medical industry supports it because it has become legal for medical and recreational use. CBD is the component that is widely associated with having health benefits including:
- Pain relief
- Induces appetite
- Alleviates side effects of chemotherapy such as pain and nausea
- Helps with sleeping disorders
This treatment is good because it is a healthier and more natural alternative to pharmaceuticals which have many side effects when taken chronically.