Over the past couple of years, alternative medicine has continued to gain traction in the mainstream and in places where you wouldn't expect it to. This can be attributed to the fact that more doctors are also advocating for the use of alternative medicine, but only when backed by scientific research and clinical tests. So, does this mean that standard medical practices are failing and how effective are alternative medicines? To answer these questions, we'll need to first determine the various types of alternative medicines that exist today and how effective they are.
But before that happens, here's how alternative medicine has advanced in the past decade.
The Impact of Technology on Alternative Medicine
To clear the air, the use of alternative medicine warrants thorough research, clinical tests, and studies into how the various aspects of alternative medicine can improve one's health. Over the past decade, there have been a lot of improvements in the world of medicine, all thanks to advancements in medical technology and the same can also be said about alternative medicine.
Back in the day, most if not all alternative medicine practices were viewed as crude, traditional, and outdated. Alternative medicine hasn't changed much, it has only adapted to modern technology and this has helped to empower alternative medicine practitioners with the knowledge, skills, and insights on how to take care of their patients better. Dr. Jag Dhesi, a chiropractor at springtownchiropractic.com says that incorporating technology into alternative medicine has allowed chiropractors around the globe to approach alternative medicine practices with a different perspective. They are now more accurate, precise, and more professional when administering care to their patients. Other major milestones in alternative medicine over the past decade include:
- Experimentation – Over the past few years, a lot of experiments have been conducted to determine the viability and effectiveness of alternative medicine and its practices. There are now better laboratory equipment and better ways to formulate organic remedies.
- Improved efficiency and care – This is one area in alternative medicine that has really improved, especially if you'd consider how things were back in the day. With technology, chiropractors can now take better care of their patients with improved efficiency. Technology has played a huge role in improving doctor-patient experience which is a huge step towards recovery.
- Mobile health – Today, mobile technology has made it easier to access chiropractic services that are freely available on various websites on the internet. The creation of various online communities connecting health care providers of alternative medicine and their patients has made it possible and easier to share information on the mobile platform with the aim of improving home care and personalized services.
Modern Forms of Alternative Medicine
Alternative medicine and its practices do not fall within the domain of conventional or science-based medical practices. Rather, alternative medicine practices revolve around therapies that affect the body, mind, and spirit. Chiropractors in this field incorporate manipulative body practices that feature body movements, diets, while at the same time focusing on the mind-body connection. With that in mind, below are the modern forms of alternative medicine.
1. Manipulative Body Practices
For ages, touch has been part and parcel of practicing alternative medicine. The idea that if one part of the body is ill will affect other body parts has been the basis of this practice. Chiropractors will, therefore, use minimal manual manipulation to restore the other parts back to their optimal health. This way, the healing elements within you will be concentrated more on the ailing or injured part. These practices involve various therapies such as:
- Osteopathic and chiropractic medicine
2. Traditional Practices
These practices are more mainstream and have continued to gain popularity over the past decade. They are practiced worldwide and have been with us for millennia. They include therapies such as:
- Oriental medicine
3. The Use of Diet and Herbs
Most if not all herbal and dietary approaches are aimed at restoring balance in the body. This balance is crucial in one's well being and healing. These approaches include:
- Nutrition and diet change
- The use of dietary supplements
- The use of herbal medicine
4. Mind Therapy
Alternative medicine also focuses on the mind's ability to heal the body. It's believed that there is a powerful connection between body and mind and when one is in their right state of mind, they can recover from ailments faster. Therapies that work on the mind include:
Finally, on the question of whether alternative medicine works or not, it will depend on the therapies practiced and the person it's practiced on. This is because we are made different and what works for one person may not work on the other. However, it's important that you consult with your doctor before getting into any practices, and in addition to this, educate yourself on the best alternative medicine practices out there.