Freshwater Aquarium Articles and Videos Worth Checking Out
Table of Contents
I've done a lot of reading related to keeping freshwater fish and plants. I know I may never achieve it, but goal is to acquire the knowledge and skills to establish a balanced planted aquarium i.e. one that needs infrequent or even no water changes (the holy grail). The following collection of articles and videos are those that served as an excellent introduction, went into detail, or saved me the trouble of having to experiment.
CO2, Lighting and Fertilizers for Planted Aquariums
- Guide to the Planted Aquarium, Part I and Part II. Articles by Phil Edwards, MS
- A Good Intro to Planted Tank Lighting Part 1 and Part 2. Videos by Dennis Wong.
- Optimizing CO2 In a Planted Tank. Video by Dennis Wong.
- Nutrient Dosing and Achieving a Balanced Aquarium. Video by Dennis Wong.
- Interview with Diana Walstad (Mostly) About Her Approach to Planted Tanks. Video by Aquarimax.
Diseases and Treatments
- How to Quarantine and Medicate New Fish. Video by Aquarium Co-Op.
- Diana Walstad Talks About Mycobacterium. Video by Aquarimax.
- An In-Depth Look at Aquarium Fish Medications. Articles by American Aquarium Products.
- Everything you Need To Know About UV Sterilization. Articles by American Aquarium Products.
- Conway Stevens published 8 videos about Fish First Aid. They're all worth watching although the product mentioned in the 8th video doesn't seem to exist anymore. Parts 1 (intro), 2 (internal parasites), 3 (ich), 4 (dropsy), 5 (quarantine), 6 (hole in the head), 7 (lymphocystis), and 8 (parasite sniper).
- Tips for Handling Algae. Video by Dennis Wong.
- Algae Treatment (Extreme, Use with Caution) by DarkCobra
Water Chemistry and Testing
- Understanding TDS by Aquarium Co-Op