What I'd Do Differently For My Second Visit to Bonaire
Every trip is a learning experience and I find that with hindsight there are things I'd do differently. For Bonaire, here's what came to mind.
- Dive earlier in the day. Do two dives in the morning. Take a break and get out of the sun during the time when it's strongest.
- Be sure to remove wet suit between dives to keep from getting cold which in turn makes the second dive colder.
- Get Nitrox certified to squeeze in more dives or reduce the surface interval in between dives.
- Rent good underwater camera gear. Rentals aren't too expensive when you consider that buying your own equipment would cost a lot for just a couple of trips a year.
- If buying an underwater camera, make sure it supports the RAW format so you can apply the proper white balance after the fact.
- Underexpose photos. Can't recover blown out sections and photos would look better with shadows instead.
- Instead of packing a lunch, instead pack a morning snack and then have a "proper" lunch after the morning dives (see item 1).