Keepass: The Best Free Password Manager
It's not uncommon to hear people bemoan the problems they have of dealing with the many passwords they had to remember. Although several programs exist to help with password issues, it wasn't until today that I learned about a free, open source password manager program.
KeePass is the best solution to password management, with the exception of my own custom-built password manager, that I have come across. It allows you to store all of your passwords, organize them within folders, and annotate them with notes. You then need to only remember one master password to access the password database which is encrypted using AES or TwoFish, two highly-regarded encryption algorithms.
Other key features include:
- Doesn't need to be installed i.e. runs right from the folder you download it to.
- Export password list to TXT, HTML, XML or CSV files. This is great should you choose to switch programs one day.
- Easy database transfer. Great for backups.
- Searching and sorting. If you have dozens of passwords like me, you know how important it is to find the one of interest.
- Plug-in support so that the core software can be extended by other developers.