Technical Director Job Description
Table of Contents
Note: This is NOT a job posting. This is just a sample job description. If you use it, please attribute this site.
This is a real-world description for a technical director. The description itself is several years old, but 95% of it is still appropriate for today.
PROJECT RELATED COMPETENCIES
Solution Development and Delivery
- Serves as a technical expert representative across teams, clients, and the information technology industry.
- Offers technical support across practices in offering definition and positioning.
- Suggests alternative technical solutions to meet client requirements more efficiently, and/or with greater reusability, and / or longer life.
Technical Effort Management
- Promotes and coordinates technical knowledge harvesting within the organization.
- Defines, communicates and enforces coding standards.
- Identifies reusable code required for our code library and ensures the high quality creation of the code.
- Manages multiple technical teams within budget and project schedule.
- Tracks and identifies new opportunities to improve our methodology and training offerings.
- Assists in strategic sales efforts from a technical perspective.
- Consistently delivers high-quality services to our clients.
CAREER PATH CORE COMPETENCIES
- Possesses significant knowledge of:
- Complex database concepts and assists in establishing standards applied across project teams .
- Various programming languages and assists in establishing standards applied across project teams.
- OO concepts and assists in establishing standards applied across project teams.
- Client/server and internet systems architectures and assists in establishing standards applied across project teams.
- Browser/client specific compatibility issues.
- Handles difficult personnel situations directly, using appropriate discretion, HR advice, and respect for the individual.
- Promotes us through speaking engagements at industry conferences and involvement in local business organizations.
- Consistently published in technical / trade journals, writes white papers on chosen technical expertise, or speaks at industry events (at least twice a year).
- Achieves excellence in all areas of business.
- Champions change and effectively manages the implementation of new ideas.
- Reinforces team approach throughout development efforts .
- Supports and solicits input from team members at all levels within the organization.
- Communicates effectively with clients to identify needs and evaluate alternative technical solutions and strategies.
- Continually defines ways to increase customer satisfaction and deepen client relationships.
- Maintains lasting client relationships.
- Ensures that we consistently deliver superior technical solutions to clients.
- Participates in all programs and enforces all policies relating to performance evaluations and career development planning.
- Mentors key technical staff.
- Creates an environment where Innovators can successfully achieve professional career path goals.
- Manages the development of technical managers and senior technical managers.
- Reviews status reports of Technical Managers and Senior Technical Managers and addresses issues as appropriate.
- Enforces standard policies and procedures.
Other Job Descriptions
- Web and Software Development
- Project Management
- Business Analysis
- Relationship and Vendor Management
- Technical Management
- Network Engineering
- IT Management
- IT Infrastructure Management