Senior Technical Manager Job Description
Table of Contents
Note: This is NOT a job posting. This is just a sample job description. If you use it, please attribute this site.
This is a real-world description for a senior technical manager. The description itself is several years old, but 95% of it is still appropriate for today.
PROJECT RELATED COMPETENCIES
Solution Development and Delivery
- Provides technical direction for the development, design, and systems integration across multiple client engagements from definition phase through implementation.
- Applies significant knowledge of industry trends and developments to improve service to our clients.
- Easily recognizes system deficiencies and implements effective solutions.
- Suggests alternative technical solutions to meet client requirements more efficiently, and/or with greater reusability, and / or longer life.
Technical Effort Management
- Creates and executes development plans across multiple projects and revises as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements.
- Keeps project manager well informed of status of development effort and serves as liaison between development staff and project manager and/or client across multiple projects.
- Identifies reusable code required for our code library and ensures the high quality creation of the code.
- Defines, communicates and enforces coding standards.
- Manages multiple technical teams within budget and project schedule.
- Assists in sales efforts from a technical perspective.
- Consistently delivers high-quality services to our clients.
CAREER PATH CORE COMPETENCIES
- Possesses significant knowledge of complex database concepts and ensures project teams are effectively employing appropriate database design techniques.
- Possesses demonstrated work experience with more than one relational database management system.
- Understands the benefits of the various programming languages and accurately suggests the use of the appropriate technology for the application .
- Possesses significant knowledge of OO concepts and ensures they are consistently and appropriately applied in client engagements.
- Possesses significant knowledge of client/server and internet systems architectures and accurately suggests the use of the appropriate technology for the application.
- Understands browser / client specific compatibility issues .
- Serves as key participant in team and client meetings.
- Raises our visibility through involvement in local industry organizations.
- Confronts issues opening and quickly .
- Tactfully communicates sensitive information.
- Challenges others to develop as leaders while clarifying roles and responsibilities.
- Pursues excellence in all aspects of business.
- Possesses the expert knowledge to identify opportunities for change and the ability to convey the need for change.
- Builds expert knowledge in our industry.
- Evokes creative and innovative thinking from team members while helping them to bring their ideas and career plans to fruition.
- Helps to determine new, creative ways to employ teams on projects and distribute responsibilities.
- Manages client interaction and expectations for multiple or large-scale development efforts.
- Anticipates clients needs and proposes alternative technical solutions.
- Continually seeks and capitalizes upon opportunities to increase customer satisfaction and deepen client relationships.
- Possess a knowledge base of each client's business, systems and objectives.
- Participates in all programs relating to performance evaluations and career development planning.
- Mentors technical managers and senior developers through formal and informal channels.
- Assesses training needs and selects training tools for team members.
- Manages the development of project teams by ensuring that project tasks are in line with each innovator's career interests.
- Easily recognizes areas for internal improvement and develops plans for implementation.
- Lends expertise to internal teams and task forces.
- Reviews the status reports of team members and addresses issues as appropriate.
Other Job Descriptions
- Web and Software Development
- Project Management
- Business Analysis
- Relationship and Vendor Management
- Technical Management
- Network Engineering
- IT Management
- IT Infrastructure Management