Senior Project Manager Job Description
Table of Contents
Note: This is NOT a job posting. This is just a sample job description. If you use it, please attribute this site.
This is a real-world description for a senior project manager. The description itself is several years old, but 95% of it is still appropriate for today.
PROJECT/PRACTICE RELATED COMPETENCIES
Project /Practice Management
- Manages the day-to-day operational and tactical aspects of multiple or large scale projects.
- Oversees managers working on client engagements within practice.
- Reviews high-level deliverables across projects.
- Implements engagement review and quality assurance procedures in accordance with our methodology to ensure profitable and successful execution of consulting engagements as measured by regional goals and customer satisfaction.
- Minimizes our exposure and risk across multiple projects.
- Manages scope and mitigates risk across projects.
- Determines appropriate revenue recognition, ensures accurate invoicing, and monitors receivables for all projects under his/her direction.
- Integrates financial data for multiple projects.
- Compares financial data for practice to that of other practices and seeks ways to maximize revenue.
- Analyzes profitability, revenue, margins, bill rates and utilization across projects.
- Addresses elevated billing issues when they arise.
CAREER PATH CORE COMPETENCIES
- Manages to and achieves revenue goals set for projects.
- Accurately forecasts revenue, profitability, margins, bill rates and utilization across projects.
- Sets expectations upward regarding revenue and profitability projections.
- Identifies partnership opportunities and capitalizes on “add-on” sales opportunities across projects.
- Achieves “add on” revenue goals
- Assists in the identification of strategic accounts.
- Works in conjunction with the our sales team to follow up on sales leads within practice.
- Grows long-term relationships with clients and capitalizes on equity and partnership opportunities.
- Serves as key participant in team and client meetings.
- Raises our visibility through involvement in local industry organizations.
- Confronts issues openly and quickly .
- Effectively communicates relevant project/practice information to superiors and peers in other practices.
- Tactfully communicates sensitive information.
- Handles difficult personnel situations directly, using appropriate discretion, HR advice, and respect for the individual.
- Assists in the evaluation and redesign of practice offerings.
- Possesses a thorough understanding of our service offerings, technical preferences, and technical direction.
- Challenges others to develop as leaders while clarifying roles and responsibilities.
- Pursues excellence in all aspects of business.
- Possesses the expert knowledge to identify opportunities for change and the ability to convey the need for change.
- Builds expert knowledge in our industry and conveys knowledge to others.
- Evokes creative and innovative thinking from team members while helping them to bring their ideas and career plans to fruition.
- Helps to determine new, creative ways to employ teams on projects and distribute responsibilities.
- Works across practice to share lessons learned and best practices.
- Manages day-to-day client interaction and expectations for multiple or large-scale projects.
- Anticipates clients needs and proposes alternative business solutions.
- Continually seeks and capitalizes upon opportunities to increase customer satisfaction and deepen client relationships.
- Possesses a knowledge base of each client's business, organization and objectives.
- Participates in all programs relating to performance evaluations and career development planning.
- Reviews evaluations within practice for consistency.
- Mentors managers through formal channels.
- Assesses training needs and selects training tools for team members.
- Manages the development of project teams by ensuring that project tasks are in line with each Innovator's career interests.
- Easily recognizes areas for internal improvement and develops plans for implementation.
- Lends expertise to internal teams and task forces.
- Reviews the status reports of team members across projects and addresses issues as appropriate.
- Complies with and enforces standard policies and procedures.
Other Job Descriptions
- Web and Software Development
- Project Management
- Business Analysis
- Relationship and Vendor Management
- Technical Management
- Network Engineering
- IT Management
- IT Infrastructure Management