Senior Network Engineer Job Description
Table of Contents
Note: This is NOT a job posting. This is just a sample job description. If you use it, please attribute this site.
This is a real-world description for a senior network engineer. The description itself is several years old, but 95% of it is still appropriate for today.
- Acts as Team Lead for the administration and maintenance of Etensity’s infrastructure as directed by IT Managers.
- Serves as Team Lead for the administration and maintenance of Etensity’s WAN as directed by IT Managers.
- Acts as Team Lead for the administration and maintenance of the telephone system, including telephone switches.
- Oversees the creation and updating of phone and voicemail extensions and routing.
Training & Lab Maintenance
- Acts as Team Lead for the administration and maintenance of computer stations and software for company training programs and provides additional support when necessary.
- Serves as Team Lead for the administration and maintenance of the Learning Studio computer stations and provides additional support when necessary.
- Serves as a Team Lead for troubleshooting, systems backups, archiving, and disaster recovery done by more junior Innovators.
- Performs complex troubleshooting, backup, archiving, and disaster recovery.
- Assists in the design, implementation and maintenance of systems, programs, hardware and software.
New Hire Administration
- Acts as Team Lead for creating network and email accounts, setting up laptops/desktops, and updating company phone lists and email address books.
Help Desk Administration
- Serves as Team Lead for the resolution of all trouble calls/emails and enters work orders into our tracking software.
- Acts as Team Lead for the administration and maintenance to Internal Systems programs such as Invisic, Saleslogix, Epicor, and ADP and operating systems used by Etensity.
- Interacts with internal clients to resolve escalated help desk issues.
- Acts as Team Lead for inventory management of software licenses, software, hardware, and other IT supplies.
- Acts as Team Lead for the purchasing of software, hardware and other IT supplies as approved by management.
- Promotes responsible usage and care of Etensity equipment.
CAREER PATH CORE COMPETENCIES
- Assists in the facilitation of team meetings.
- Delivers informative, well-organized presentations.
- Understands how to communicate difficult/sensitive information tactfully.
- Generates enthusiasm among team members.
- Proactively seeks opportunities to serve in leadership roles.
- Challenges others to develop as leaders while serving as a role model.
- Manages the process of innovative change.
- Facilitates effective team interaction.
- Acknowledges and appreciates each team member’s contributions.
- Communicates effectively with internal clients to identify needs and evaluate alternative business solutions with company project management.
- Continually seeks opportunities to increase internal client satisfaction and deepen client relationships.
- Manages internal client expectations effectively.
- Conducts effective progress evaluations in a timely manner.
- Mentors those with less experience through informal channels.
- Seeks and participates in development opportunities above and beyond training required by the company.
- Trains other innovators through both formal and informal training programs.
- Suggests areas for improvement in internal processes along with possible solutions.
- Leads internal teams/task forces.
Other Job Descriptions
- Web and Software Development
- Project Management
- Business Analysis
- Relationship and Vendor Management
- Technical Management
- Network Engineering
- IT Management
- IT Infrastructure Management