Project Manager Job Description
Table of Contents
Note: This is NOT a job posting. This is just a sample job description. If you use it, please attribute this site.
This is a real-world description for a project manager. The description itself is several years old, but 95% of it is still appropriate for today.
PROJECT/PRACTICE RELATED COMPETENCIES
Project /Practice Management
- Creates and executes project work plans and revises as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements.
- Identifies resources needed and assigns individual responsibilities.
- Manages day-to-day operational aspects of a project and scope.
- Reviews deliverables prepared by team before passing to client.
- Effectively applies our methodology and enforces project standards.
- Prepares for engagement reviews and quality assurance procedures.
- Minimizes our exposure and risk on project.
- Ensures project documents are complete, current, and stored appropriately.
- Tracks and reports team hours and expenses on a weekly basis.
- Manages project budget.
- Determines appropriate revenue recognition, ensures timely and accurate invoicing, and monitors receivables for project.
- Follows up with clients, when necessary, regarding unpaid invoices.
- Analyzes project profitability, revenue, margins, bill rates and utilization.
CAREER PATH CORE COMPETENCIES
- Understands basic revenue models, P/L, and cost-to-completion projections and makes decisions accordingly.
- Understands our pricing model and billing procedures.
- Accurately forecasts revenue, profitability, margins, bill rates and utilization.
- Assures project legal documents are completed and signed.
- Identifies business development and “add-on” sales opportunities as they relate to a specific project.
- Leads proposal efforts including completing project scoping and LOE assessments.
- Effectively conveys our message in both written and verbal business development discussions.
- Facilitates team and client meetings effectively.
- Holds regular status meetings with project team.
- Keeps project team well informed of changes within the organization and general corporate news.
- Effectively communicates relevant project information to superiors.
- Delivers engaging, informative, well-organized presentations.
- Resolves and/or escalates issues in a timely fashion.
- Understands how to communicate difficult/sensitive information tactfully.
- Possesses general understanding in the areas of application programming, database and system design.
- Understands Internet, Intranet, Extranet and client/server architectures.
- Possesses a thorough understanding of our capabilities.
- Maintains awareness of new and emerging technologies and the potential application on client engagements.
- Challenges others to develop as leaders while serving as a role model and mentor.
- Manages the development of team by ensuring, when possible, that project tasks are in line with each Innovator’s career interests.
- Inspires coworkers to attain goals and pursue excellence.
- Identifies opportunities for improvement and makes constructive suggestions for change .
- Manages the process of innovative change effectively.
- Remains on the forefront of emerging industry practices.
- Consistently acknowledges and appreciates each team member’s contributions.
- Effectively utilizes each team member to his/her fullest potential.
- Motivates team to work together in the most efficient manner.
- Keeps track of lessons learned and shares those lessons with team members.
- Mitigates team conflict and communication problems.
- Plans and facilitates regular team activities outside of the office.
- Manages day-to-day client interaction.
- Sets and manages client expectations.
- Develops lasting relationships with client personnel that foster client ties.
- Communicates effectively with clients to identify needs and evaluate alternative business solutions.
- Continually seeks opportunities to increase customer satisfaction and deepen client relationships.
- Builds a knowledge base of each client’s business, organization and objectives.
- Conducts effective performance evaluations and mentors those with less experience through formal channels.
- Helps team execute career development plans.
- Seeks and participates in development opportunities above and beyond training required by us.
- Trains other innovators and clients through both formal and informal training programs.
- Encourages more junior Innovators to take responsibility for their development within the company.
- Challenges fellow Innovators to progress toward their professional development goals.
- Suggests areas for improvement in internal processes along with possible solutions.
- Leads internal teams/task forces
- Approves team member’s time and expense reports in a conscientious and timely manner.
- Reviews the status reports of team members and addresses issues as appropriate.
- Complies with and helps to enforce standard policies and procedures.
Other Job Descriptions
- Web and Software Development
- Project Management
- Business Analysis
- Relationship and Vendor Management
- Technical Management
- Network Engineering
- IT Management
- IT Infrastructure Management