Junior Network Engineer Job Description
Table of Contents
Note: This is NOT a job posting. This is just a sample job description. If you use it, please attribute this site.
This is a real-world description for a junior network engineer. The description itself is several years old, but 95% of it is still appropriate for today.
- Understands the issues involved with administering and maintaining corporate infrastructure, including network connectivity, Internet access, email, etc.
- Understands the issues involved in administering and maintaining corporate WAN.
- Assists with the administration and maintenance of the telephone system, including telephone switches.
- Assists with the creation of new hire telephone and voicemail extensions, routing extensions to appropriate locations and updating information as Innovator seating assignments change.
Training & Lab Maintenance
- Helps set up and maintain computer stations and software for Etensity training programs.
- Helps set up and maintain the Learning Studio computer stations.
- Assists in supporting corporate applications; internal corporate servers, user desktops, etc.
- Assists with basic troubleshooting, backup, and archiving.
- Helps install and improve computer software and network equipment.
New Hire Administration
- Creates network and email accounts for new users.
- Sets up computers for new users and ensures delivery of equipment to users in different locations if necessary.
- Updates company phone lists and email address books.
Help Desk Administration
- Helps answer all trouble calls/emails and enters work orders into our tracking software.
- Assists in administering and maintaining local and web-based versions of our tracking software.
- Assists in the administration and maintenance of Internal Systems programs such as Invisic, Saleslogix, Epicor, and ADP as well as operating systems used.
- Interacts with internal clients to resolve basic help desk issues; communicates with internal clients in a professional manner maintaining confidentiality.
- Provides responses to internal clients in a timely manner.
- Assists with the inventory management of software licenses, software, hardware, and other IT supplies.
- Assists with the purchase of software, hardware and other IT supplies.
- Promotes responsible usage and care of corporate equipment.
CAREER PATH CORE COMPETENCIES
- Listens to others and accepts input from team members.
- Clearly articulate ideas and thoughts verbally.
- Accurately prepares written business correspondence that is coherent, grammatically correct, effective and professional.
- Relays relevant IT-related information to the company in a timely manner.
- Displays a positive attitude
- Demonstrates flexibility in day-to-day work.
- Sets high standards of performance for oneself.
- Establishes harmonious working relationships with team members.
- Appreciates each team member’s contributions and values each individual member.
- Values internal clients and responds to their needs as they arise.
- Establishes effective working relationship with internal clients.
- Follows established communication guidelines.
- Uses good judgment in what and how to communicate with internal clients.
- Understands the professional development process and becomes actively involved by setting challenging goals and meeting them through continuous learning.
- Seeks input from mentors and supervisors.
- Actively applies feedback received to day-to-day work and strives to improve performance.
- Accurately completes and submits time and expense reports in a timely manner.
- Accurately completes and submits status reports in a timely manner.
- Complies with all company policies and procedures.
- Participates in the implementation and support of IT-related policies.
- Keeps workroom neat, organized and secure.
Other Job Descriptions
- Web and Software Development
- Project Management
- Business Analysis
- Relationship and Vendor Management
- Technical Management
- Network Engineering
- IT Management
- IT Infrastructure Management